Kitchen Safety Tips
Taking precaution in the kitchen entails a lot of things. It involves being extremely careful with everything in the kitchen. From handling the appliances with extra care to electrical safety and general safety of the kitchen. Some safety measure to be taken while in a kitchen include;
- It is safer when the plugs of your appliances have a 3-prong connection. 2-prong is not really advisable for a kitchen equipment. Equipment like mixers, blenders and other electrical appliances in the kitchen should be grounded. Also, check the wires and cords to be sure they are not frayed.
- Do not put your life at risk by trying to manage using a damaged appliance. It doesn’t take much to get new ones or get them fixed so don’t consider the cost. It is your life first before any other thing. If you are unable to afford a new one, buy a fairly used one, but be sure to check it properly before buying and inspect if possible.
- Do not try to stick a fork into a toaster to retrieve your toast. You may experience shock. Before retrieving, switch off the toaster, unplug it then remove your toast (still not with a fork to be safe).
- Accidents are not always expected but it’s always better to plan for one. Keep a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen in the case of a fire outbreak as one cannot predict when it might occur. It is always good practice to be safe rather than sorry and this is one way to stay safe.
- Unplug appliances with sharp edges before touching them. Equipment like blenders, mixers and can openers should be unplugged before touching them. It may result in shock if you are not careful so the best is to avoid it totally. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
- Using your phone while in the kitchen is not advisable and should be avoided as much as possible. It can result in injuries or casualties. This can be avoided by keeping away the phone totally. Few minutes or hours of staying away from your phone while cooking shouldn’t do so much harm.
- Keep children away from the kitchen especially while cooking. Inasmuch as the kitchen is a place where tasty and delicious dishes are made, it can however, quickly turn gory if not properly handled. Children can be very curious and, in their quest to satisfy this curiosity, they may end up causing harm to themselves. Prevent them from totally entering the kitchen to avoid the unexpected.
- Make sure you clean up spills immediately. Apart from the fact that spills might make the surface slippery causing falls, it is not okay because there are electrical appliances in the kitchen. We all know how water reacts with electricity. To avoid any mishaps, it is best to clean up any spills immediately they occur. Read on how to clean common kitchen appliances here.
- Don’t leave the kitchen with a pot on fire, unattended. We tend to be forgetful at times and can be easily carried away by other activities. If possible, it is advisable not to leave at all. Leaving and forgetting might lead to food burn then fire outbreak. To avoid forgetting, it might be best not to leave at all.
The kitchen is one key place in the home that can be easily prone to accidents. These can be easily reduced to the minimum with the tips listed.
What safety measures do you use in your kitchens? Share them with us in the comments section below.